Olaf Lehmann

Salzburg74 28th September - Round 12

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 25 Sep 2023, 17:52

trackini for Salzburg with larger distances between the box stalls:
http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/trackiniSALZ74.zip

tagomago

Re: Salzburg74 28th September - Round 12

Post by tagomago » 28 Sep 2023, 23:42

I'm so sorry Tim... I ruined your race and also my apologies to André for making him lose time in the lead.
The first move to let Rainer pass worked well ... then the second move with Andrée was not good ... I made a mistake by moving late off his line and he touched me slightly ... just enough to put my car in the middle of your line ... I'm very sorry.
I've been having a few days of disasters ... my computer died the day before yesterday and I've been recovering the disk since the end of the race to be able to check the password and apologize here.
Sorry Tim ... I owe you one or more beers
I hope the rest of you enjoyed it ... it's a charming track.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 29 Sep 2023, 00:14

Qual
A good qualifying session form me. Just a couple of the tenths from my PB.

Race
An okey start, but was not able to hold off Rainers Eagle going down to turn 1.
The first couple of laps was hard as the Cooper and the Eagle are quite different around a lap on Salzburg.
Almost took Rainer out as I approach him to fast under breaking.

After a few laps I made a mistake going in to Ost-schlife and Tim was able to pass.
Rainer and Tim then slightly pulled away as I was trying to take care of my tires. Then Tim spun in Semperit curve, and I managed to get pass.

In the second half of my first stint I was able to lower my lap times, and the gap to Rainer in front and Tim behind stabilised.

Then as we got closer to the pitstop window, I noticed that I was able to close the gap to Rainer and slightly pull away from Tim.
But then as we were to pass José I made a wrong judgement(again) and drove straight in to his rear.
I’m really sorry José for ruining your race. I will probably receive a new penalty for this.

I made my pitstop a bit later than Rainer, gambling on him being stuck in traffic.
As I rejoined after my pitstop I was still 6 seconds behind.
I really tried my best chasing him down, but he was just to fast and consistent today.

Really pleased with my second stint. And again really sorry for ruining your race José :-(

Congratulations to Rainer for a great win, and to John for joining us on the podium.
Last edited by André Jahren on 29 Sep 2023, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

snafu

Post by snafu » 29 Sep 2023, 02:29

I didn't manage to get close to my PB during qualifying But even if I had it wouldn't have gained me any positions on the grid so lined up 4th for the start.

The race itself followed what is becoming a familiar pattern for me. Dag was up my A$$ by Semperit Kurve on lap 1 and I was sandwiched between one group of fast guys slowly pulling away in front and another fast guy climbing all over my Brabham behind. I sometimes wonder if I should just let Dag through for both his sanity and mine. Finally he made a mistake at Semperit Kurve a few laps later and I had some breathing space back to Bjorn in the other Brabham so I was able to begin to find some rhythm. Then Bjorn slipped back further (Presumably due to a mistake) and I had a gap of 10s behind and only rare glimpses of the front 3 ahead. Tim then had an issue and I was briefly back on his tail but he again moved away chasing Rainer and Andre. How Tim and others brake so late for some corners is a complete mystery to me and I was almost taken past the limit of my talent several times trying to keep him in sight. Then Tim collided with Tago and I was up to an undeserved 3rd but a long way adrift of the front two but well ahead of Bjorn behind.

I was briefly promoted to 2nd when Andre pitted but quickly surrendered it when I made my stop a lap or so later. The remainder of the race was none eventful with not a cat in hells chance of matching the times of the front two but comfortable with the gap back to Bjorn behind so just concentrated on keeping up a decent speed to keep the tyres at the right temperature without taking too many chances.

So, ecstatic to have another podium, although as with Thruxton, I'm under no illusion it had more to do with the misfortune of others than any driving skills. Congratulations to Rainer and Andre for the top spots on the podium and thank you to those who were lapped, very well managed with clear indication of where you were going to let me through.

On to Boreham, I've raced there before and I'm not a fan. :cry2: Hopefully I'll be able to find some rhythm during the next 2 weeks.

TTFN
John
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

tim

Post by tim » 29 Sep 2023, 12:46

..no problem Tago, I take the beer ;)
otherwise its a little frustrating loosing championship-chances like this..

so, lets think forward..

Gratulations Rainer, you are unbeatable here in an Eagle :)

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 29 Sep 2023, 15:59

I can't manage to get through a race without repairs at the moment. It is frustrating.

Grats Rainer!

@André: Link to replay doesn't work.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 29 Sep 2023, 20:31

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 15:59
Should work now

Bjørn Finnestad

Post by Bjørn Finnestad » 29 Sep 2023, 22:52

Grats Rainer, André and John for podium. :daumenrauf: Well done finishers, bad luck DNFs.

Interesting character in this track, also set pb for training, practice, and race, helped by that the setup worked well too. There was something to be gained at every turn to improve the time. The last bend before the start-finish stretch I never got quite right with different track lines either…

From the start of the race, I found a good rhythm and was able to keep up with John in sight over some laps, and at the same time there was a longer gap behind me. I made an unnecessary mistake at the exit of the Semperit curve, got into an unfavourable position on the grass, so it felt like I lost a lot of time, but kept the position. Later, made the pit stop well, and continued the next stint with high pressure on myself but, it was a little slower until the finish. Tire wear was less than usual. Overheating during training occurred noticeably. In summary, for me nice rounds and a good experience. :)

Have a good training for the next race.

see you next :)

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 30 Sep 2023, 09:28

André Jahren wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 20:31
Olaf Lehmann wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 15:59
Should work now
Thank you André!

Code: Select all

PITSTOP LISTING

17:10	 31.4s	D.Johnsen	Repair
  28:31	 30.7s	R.Alpen		Tire change/Refuel
  29:36	 32.3s	O.Lehmann	Tire change/Refuel
  31:14	 33.5s	J.Hammonds DG	Tire change/Refuel
  33:28	 30.0s	A.Jahren	Tire change/Refuel
  34:00	 32.2s	B.Finnestad	Tire change/Refuel
  34:21	 36.0s	S.gore		Repair
  49:31	110.7s	O.Lehmann	Repair/Tire change/Refuel

Robert Fleurke

Post by Robert Fleurke » 01 Oct 2023, 11:43

Just another update. I am still racing, and it's going well. But my hemodialysis schedule will change to tuesday/thursday and saturday afternoon (from mon/wed/fri mornings, start-up group). Since I may not use my left arm for 4 hours after the treatments, it's basically impossible for me to return to HIES...

All the best to you guys, and when my schedule will change again I will reconsider.