Tripoli - 23th of November - Round 16

gpl dirtgear league
Olaf Lehmann

Re: Tripoli - 23th of November - Round 16

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 24 Nov 2023, 17:09

I had two engine failures in pre-practice, both at full throttle (not when changing gear or over-revving the engine). So I should have been warned.

I remember at some point coming across a passage in the gpl code that clearly stated that an additional engine damage sequence is run from 105°C, which is skipped at colder temperatures. It seems that from 105°C a random generator runs which generates this particular damage (in addition to the engine damage generated by over-revving/shifting) - only with a low probability...but the longer you stay above the limit, the more likely it is that it will hit you.

In german:
Ich hatte im Pre Training zwei Motorschäden, jeweils in ganz normaler Vollgasfahrt (nicht beim Schalten oder Überdrehen des Motors). Ich hätte also gewarnt sein müssen.

Ich erinnere mich bei irgendeiner Gelegenheit auf eine Stelle im gpl code gestoßen zu sein, in dem eindeutig ersichtlich war, dass ab 105°C eine zusätzliche Motorschadensequenz durchlaufen wird, die bei kälteren Temperaturen übersprungen wird. Es scheint so zu sein, dass ab 105°C ein Zufallsgenerator läuft, der diesen bestimmten Schaden (zusätzlich zu den durch Überdrehen/Verschalten erzeugten Motorschäden) erzeugt - zwar nur mit geringer Wahrscheinlichkeit...aber je länger man über der Grenze bleibt, umso wahrscheinlicher wird es, dass es einen trifft.

tim

Post by tim » 25 Nov 2023, 11:44

"It seems that from 105°C a random generator runs which generates this particular damage"
..I didn´t know that. Very interesting! At GELI-league we drove many races where my engine was even 107°C for long distances and never had an engine problem. This random generator must be little and we both had some bad luck last time.

Thank you for this info!

snafu

Post by snafu » 26 Nov 2023, 00:54

Sorry to see how the race unfolded, very bad luck for everyone. ;( I was all settled in my little holiday cottage by the sea, a freshly cooked Pizza, a few beers and my tablet set up to watch the live stream. I managed 2 slices of pizza and 1 beer before the stream ended.

I'm surprised about the 105°C mentioned by Olaf, that seems very low. Pressurised cooling systems allow much higher boiling points than atmospheric pressure. I seem to remember this being briefly discussed in one of the oAo forums and Robert mentioned this. I didn't question it at the time but my feeling is it should be a lot higher than that. 15psi (1 bar as near as dammit) pushes the boiling point of water up to 120°C and that's without any additives such as Ethylene Glycol or similar. The opposite happens if the pressure is reduced. Try to boil a mug of water on the top of Mt Everest and it will boil at 68°C

TTFN
John.
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

tim

Post by tim » 28 Nov 2023, 10:15

..thx John! Now, when you talk about physics I remember what they teached us at school ..
very interesting!

And sorry that we couldn´t get a thrilling program together to saddisfy you on your holiday! I hope pizza & beer finaly did it for you ;)