Rouen - 21th of December - Round 18

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 13 Dec 2023, 15:41

Track.ini with wider grid and more space between pistalls:
http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/trackiniROUEN.zip

André Jahren

Re: Rouen - 21th of December - Round 18

Post by André Jahren » 13 Dec 2023, 21:54

Hi,
Today, the same day as I traveled to the Gran Canaries. My internet provider have had problems. And I have not brought my laptop, so I can’t restart the pre-qual server from here when it’s fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I’m not back before the evening the 20th.

snafu

Post by snafu » 18 Dec 2023, 11:39

Just thought it worth mentioning as some may not have had chance to run Rouen on the server. (Possibly Olaf's track.ini resolves this)?

The version used by Andre on the server is not compatible with the "narrow Pits" version of the track (Such as the one which comes with the 67 track pack).

If you have the narrow pits version installed you will spawn into the pits in the middle of a pit building and death and destruction will be your fate making qualifying impossible.

Hope you are having a great time Andre, I know Gran Canaria well, lovely part of the world

TTFN
John.
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 18 Dec 2023, 15:26

I have not yet been able to drive on the server.
My trackini works with the normal Rouen track. I can't say if it works with modified tracks.

I think it is irresponsible to change tracks without also changing the track folder. I have to say: That kind of thing takes the fun out of gpl. It should be ensured that everyone drives under the same conditions.

snafu

Post by snafu » 18 Dec 2023, 16:00

Although I agree with you Olaf, I've never come across a modification to a track which changes anything related to the racing surface, so I've never really considered it a problem. I've tried the 67 track pack and have ultimately reverted back to some of my previous track versions because the 67 track pack has invisible objects where armco etc has been removed from view for historical accuracy but they still actually exist.

Are there any instances where people might be running a track modification which gives them an advantage when actually on track?

TTFN
John.
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

Bjørn Finnestad

Post by Bjørn Finnestad » 18 Dec 2023, 20:58

The server runs the original version which is made with a larger pit area. Historically correct pit version has smaller size of pits. If you enter the server with the historically correct pit version, the car will crash because it hits outside the drivable area, can be entertaining, but you don't get to drive. This only happened to me (supposedly) in 2019 here at HIES, the car flew high into the air, crashed to the ground, and caught fire. Then I realized that I had installed this version many years ago. Then I copied in original 3do and trk file. I have some textures that are not the right ones but Rouen are much nicer than the previous or 1998 version anyway. I'm looking forward to installing the new track pack but will obviously wait until after the race.

Surprisingly, this is not mentioned in the description for new track-pack or that the original pit is attached as alternative files. (In Kyalami, the pit wall is always a warning case for online races that I can remember.) Agree that separate track names would have solved the problem, but then we would have spread the rank times on two tracks which are the same. At the slightest difference in the track itself, it is mandatory that there is a different track, I don't think something else is possible in our GPL world.

The next time we race at Rouen, we can decide that historically correct pits will be mandatory. No problem for me if it is done now, but there will be too little time to be able to do it this time I would assume.

(3do = graphics file defined as triangles, trk = physics file defined with lines that the program calculates from defined formulas for best accuracy.)

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 20 Dec 2023, 23:57

The Pre Qual server is up and running again.

tim

Post by tim » 21 Dec 2023, 10:07

thx & welcome back home!

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 21 Dec 2023, 18:30

Thanks Andre.
Welcome back. :daumenrauf:

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 22 Dec 2023, 00:48

Qual
A good qualifying session form me. But Rainer was to hard to beat.

Race
An ok start from me, but Tim had a better start and almost past me in to turn 1.

Had a good fight with Rainer for 1 1/2 lap, before he disappeared.

Me being second and Tim being third would tie us on points in the championship, but Tim would win it with more victories.
So when Rainer went off on lap 8 I had the championship in my own hands. Now I just needed to focus and not do any mistakes.

On the first stint I was pushed hard by Tim who was following close with the gap being between 3 and 4 seconds the whole stint.

Then I decided on doing an undercut. Trying to do some good in laps and some good out laps to see if I could pull a way a bit more. And it payed off.

When things settled after Tim had done his out lap the gap was extended to 10 seconds.

At some point Tim did a mistake and lost a lot of seconds. So from there on in I increased my lap times with 1 1/2 seconds and tried to stay focused and drive with a margin.

It payed off and I got the car safely home.

Happy with today’s performance and a bit lucky with Rainers DNF to clinch the title.

Congratulations to Tim with second today and a well deserved second place in the championship. You had a really good second half of the season.

And congratulations to John for joining us on the podium. You also had a really strong second half.

Merry Christmas everyone! See you back on track in January :-)
Last edited by André Jahren on 22 Dec 2023, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.