Kyalami - 18th of January - Round 1

gpl dirtgear league
tagomago

Re: Kyalami - 18th of January - Round 1

Post by tagomago » 19 Jan 2024, 11:26

Very happy with my performance yesterday and enjoyment on the track with first John and then Rainer :prost:

Qualified higher than expected on a nice tight grid with Bjorn (and Robert of course) missing. ;)

The start was clean and I was overtaken by Tim to take 4th position and enjoy being ahead of Dag, Andree and Tim that were slowly but surely getting away from me and an interesting view in the mirrors with John pushing me and behind Rainer, Olaf and Seb.

I managed to get into my rhythm but John with his Brabham had a better push and managed to overtake me cleanly on lap 10. :daumenrauf: then on the next lap he made a small slip which allowed me to regain the position. :motz:

So from then on and seeing that I was comfortable I tried not to push because my strategy of not stopping for the moment was working with respect to Olaf and Seb.

My pace was enough for Rainer to come up to me but so slowly that it made me think that he probably had the same strategy.

So there came a few laps of concentration and enjoyment with Rainer on his Honda. :banana:

He managed to overtake me cleanly :daumenrauf: at the end and this time I tried to keep him from getting away from me ... hoping more that he would make a mistake than anything else.

However, the unequal battle between an Eagle and a Honda paid off ... I had some very nice laps behind his Honda.

In a couple of laps I was able to catch his slipstream earlier than expected and had to abandon with evasive action to avoid touching him.

In the next few laps I saw that his Honda was trying to take the inside of T1 from me, so I set out to test the speed advantage by coming in on the natural line and going wide in the corner and we had a beautiful parallel T1 - T2.

It was a lot of fun ... great and clean racing :prost:

Very pleased to see Dag in form and out in front ... grats Andre too

Thanks all for racing :daumenrauf:

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 19 Jan 2024, 15:43

Congratulations to the recovered Dag on his victory! :champagner:
Also congratulations to André, Tago (very strong performance) to the podium and also to Rainer and Seb.

I realized: I'm not really competitive. It's partly down to a lack of talent and partly down to my brake pedal. I'm not sure whether the bigger problem is: Me or the pedal.
On Tuesday, when I drove with Seb, Rainer and Carsten on the server, I was one second slower than expected. Afterwards I saw (I can see the pedal stroke in my telemetry program) that the brake was releasing about 4 percent all the time. Yesterday afternoon, the brakes only applied about 92% under full braking. In the official race I don't run the telemetry for safety reasons, but I would say that at times the brakes didn't apply fully, which is why I sometimes didn't get into the first corner or only with great difficulty in official race in the evening.
I use a Logitech MOMO, which is hard to get to work with Windows10 anyway.
Can you give any tips on steering wheels? I remember Pelle, who gave up driving after buying a new one. I wanted to avoid that as much as possible.
I don't need a shifter, I drive with shift paddles and no clutch pedal anyway.
But it would be important that the pedals, especially the brake pedal, are heavy and work progressively.

Code: Select all

PITSTOP LISTING

32:40	 36.2s	J.Hammonds	Tire change/Refuel
It's the oly pitstop that was found. It seems dpg84 has under normal circumstances lesser wear than dgp812. From today sight it could be 10% more I think. I think will will have planned tire change stops very rarely. But it's not really bad. We'll have tire stops because of driving mistakes.
Nice to hear that some of you like dgp. But you'll curse in the future when you produce damages. I guarantee it. :naughty:

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 19 Jan 2024, 16:26

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 15:43
Can you give any tips on steering wheels? I remember Pelle, who gave up driving after buying a new one. I wanted to avoid that as much as possible.
I don't need a shifter, I drive with shift paddles and no clutch pedal anyway.
But it would be important that the pedals, especially the brake pedal, are heavy and work progressively.
I use the Logitech G27 steering wheel, and the Thrustmaster https://pitlanesimracing.com/products/t ... -pro-pedal T3PA Pro Multi-position Pedal (in position 1) with this T.RJ12 USB ADAPTER.

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 20 Jan 2024, 13:41

Hi Gang,
Really enjoyed that. Congratulations Dag, Andre and Jose Luis, and everyone else, that was really competitive I thought.

One thought on your braking issues Olaf, I use a load-cell brake. I certainly cannot stop properly or with any sort of consistency with a hall effect type brake pedal. What are you using?

One final thought on my race, if I hadn't had three silly little spins, I think I would not have been lapped for the first time..... Must try harder Seb!

Onto Porto!

See you on track guys :daumenrauf:

Cheers,
Seb.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 20 Jan 2024, 21:20

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 15:43

Code: Select all

PITSTOP LISTING

32:40	 36.2s	J.Hammonds	Tire change/Refuel
It's the oly pitstop that was found. It seems dpg84 has under normal circumstances lesser wear than dgp812. From today sight it could be 10% more I think. I think will will have planned tire change stops very rarely. But it's not really bad. We'll have tire stops because of driving mistakes.
Nice to hear that some of you like dgp. But you'll curse in the future when you produce damages. I guarantee it. :naughty:
I think that we should increase the tire wear by 10% as you suggest Olaf. I did set my fastest lap on lap 43. Hopefully that would make it a bit harder to go the full distance with out a pit stop, and those who plan a pit stop in position to still fight for the same places as they had before their pit stop.

tim

Post by tim » 21 Jan 2024, 08:35

Well, well. All, exept Olaf, seem saddisfied. Good to hear! Sure, there is a solution for good brake pedals..

But first things first. Great you are back, Dag! Well done! Seems you renewed your booster :daumenrauf:
Impressive performance in the BRM, André! Indeed I was on a 1 stop strategy. 1sec+ is astonishing! - but I want leave it as it is, BRM is fine. Thank you!
Grats Josè Luis for joining podium!

The DGP didn´t have to show its potencies, here on this common well known, therefor relatively undangerous track. In my opinion, and as mentioned by André and Olaf it produces to less tyre degradation. I´m not sure if increasing by 10% is enough after the knowledge of Andre´s fastest lap happened that late. Last season a pitstop was essential - last race absolutely not. When I would have to guess now, I would say tyre degradation-value should be an average between last season and last race. Not to forget, nobody will pit if there´s not a slight advantage of it..

And Olaf, I owe Logitech pedals from my G27-set that are still working perfectly but only with a slightly damaged baseplate. If you mount them on a stable rig there should be no problem with them. They are even pimped with a Ricmotech load cell for excellent braking feedback. I would really recommend that kind of setup for Logitech (G27/29) brakes. If you could use them I could send them to you. Remember, a Logitech (G26?/27/29) wheel is needed to connect these pedals..

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 21 Jan 2024, 14:14

Firstly about the pedal.
The main problem is not the pedal, the main problem is me. At the point where my skills end, the real racing begins. What I can do is drive a car like in road traffic. And that after 15 years of gpl. ;(
I am hopelessly out of my depth. When I try to drift into a bend, I don't hit the bend or end up in an uncontrollable spin. My reactions are simply too slow to catch a spin.
That's why I don't think it makes sense to upgrade as long as I'm not learning.
Nevertheless, a question for André: The Logitech pedals didn't work well enough? And do the Logitech pedals also have load cell technology?

Because of the higher wear effect. Of course I can do that. Maybe even 15% more would be better.
It is very difficult to estimate with hardly any data, because everyone has a different riding style, every track and every car produces different wears. A better guide than André's times would be wear values - always with number of the laps driven. For example: In e test kyalami race I had after 33 laps this values:
41/51
47/52
Then I could also estimate whether the front/rear relationship is favourable.

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 21 Jan 2024, 16:05

Hi Olaf, and anyone else who is interested.

Check out "Driver61" on youtube. The chap's name is Scott Mansell and he holds the lap record around the Brands Hatch Indy circuit. Around 38 seconds if I remember correctly, in an old 93 Benneton during a BOSS race. I was there watching the race when he did it.
Porsche tried to beat it in on of their 919's (I think) a few years ago and failed. :daumenrauf:
Scott now does driver coaching. Track down his academy series. It has really helped me. A lot of it is based on Carroll Smith's teachings, which are just as true today as when his books were first published.

Cheers,
Seb.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 21 Jan 2024, 18:05

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 14:14
Firstly about the pedal.
The main problem is not the pedal, the main problem is me. At the point where my skills end, the real racing begins. What I can do is drive a car like in road traffic. And that after 15 years of gpl. ;(
I am hopelessly out of my depth. When I try to drift into a bend, I don't hit the bend or end up in an uncontrollable spin. My reactions are simply too slow to catch a spin.
That's why I don't think it makes sense to upgrade as long as I'm not learning.
Nevertheless, a question for André: The Logitech pedals didn't work well enough? And do the Logitech pedals also have load cell technology?

Because of the higher wear effect. Of course I can do that. Maybe even 15% more would be better.
It is very difficult to estimate with hardly any data, because everyone has a different riding style, every track and every car produces different wears. A better guide than André's times would be wear values - always with number of the laps driven. For example: In e test kyalami race I had after 33 laps this values:
41/51
47/52
Then I could also estimate whether the front/rear relationship is favourable.
Let’s try a version with 15 or 20% more wear.

Over to pedals.

I have used separate pedals since 2006. First the RS pedals from Act-Labs and then the Thrustmaster pedals. So when I switched from the Logitech Momo steering wheel to the Logitech G27 I already had a good set of pedals. So I have actually never tested the pedals that came with the G27.

Bjørn Finnestad

Post by Bjørn Finnestad » 02 Feb 2024, 19:55

After Kyalami, more about pedals Olaf; :daumenrauf:

They are perhaps the most important thing and braking with the foot against a long wandering spring does not give the best control. With a progressive pedal that reacts to the pressure instead of such a long movement, a new development of the learning curve can contribute. :dance:
I have now replaced my 15-years-old G25 kit, can't believe I've had it that long, think it's getting worn out now, the old G25 shifter failed 3 years ago. I have replaced with Moza R9 DD-wheel and SR-P pedals. The shifter Th8a I want to keep. This setup needs 3 usb connections to pc which GPL accepts but may introduce conflicts with the axes requiring trial and error. Here one must not always take it for granted that something cannot work and unfortunately may have scared many away from GPL.

Will come back with experiences when I have got used to it and settings in place.