Porto58 - 8th of February - Round 2

gpl dirtgear league
Olaf Lehmann

Porto58 - 8th of February - Round 2

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 23 Jan 2024, 15:39

Here is a special track.ini with wider grid and more distance between pitstalls:
http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/trackiniPORTO.zip

The new dgp version 841 with about 20% more wear is linked in dirtgear news thread first post.

André Jahren

Re: Porto58 - 8th of February - Round 2

Post by André Jahren » 23 Jan 2024, 17:29

The server is updated

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 08 Feb 2024, 21:05

Those darn rails.
Nothing happens 20 times and the twenty-first time you turn round on your own axis with no chance of averting it.

snafu

Post by snafu » 08 Feb 2024, 21:46

I'm thoroughly fed up at the moment, After the gear change issues at Kyalami I thought I had fixed it but it seems no (I can't afford to replace my set up at the moment). Jumped in/out/in/out of 2nd with a few laps to go entering T1. Strayed onto the rails and got stuck in the hay bales.

Prior to that I had a screen freeze and fully expected a reboot only for GPL to unfreeze a few seconds later with no sound but me bouncing off the hay bales, so an early repair stop where I forgot to change tyres (Tyre wear was off the chart due to the collisions). Struggled on and found myself in 2nd with Rainer closing, car was handling like a cow on roller skates by this time but a stop for tyres would have lost me a place. Eventually they cred enough and another crash, repair and tyres put me stone last of the runners. Caught Tago on my new tyres and he let me past very easily so back up to 3rd.

Then the familiar gear issues ended my race.

So I'll see how I feel for the next round, I really thought the gears were solved after a clean and had not had any issue leading up to the race but apparently not. )(

TTFN
John.
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 08 Feb 2024, 22:37

Err..... Sorry about the delay there guys. I didn't know I had to leave the pits.
You live and learn. Won't happen again.
I can say the same thing about those bakes on the outside of the first turn...
I watched the rest of the race. To all four of you guys who finished, very, very well done. For the rest of us....... :hide:
Onwards and upwards eh? Westwood, here we come.Cheers,
Seb.

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 08 Feb 2024, 22:42

ps, I feel your pain Olaf......

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 09 Feb 2024, 09:04

https://f1historicesports.com/GPL/porto ... index.html

Code: Select all

PITSTOP LISTING

14:47	 46.7s	J.Hammonds	Repair
  33:21	 31.8s	R.Alpen		Tire change/Refuel
  47:48	 46.5s	J.Hammonds	Repair/Tire change

Dag_Johnsen

Post by Dag_Johnsen » 09 Feb 2024, 10:10

Grats Andrè , Rainer and John. Well done.

I froze sadly , which was a real shame as it was shaping up to be a fun race. Oh well , on to the next one. :)

tim

Post by tim » 09 Feb 2024, 12:31

Grats Andrè , Rainer and John!

I was on a 1 stop strategy and think the others not. If only I could finish the race it would have been interesting how dgp works. But I lost to much time at the beginning when duelling with Dag and André. Also I felt a bit insecure in my car as a result of some rollbarstiffness changes I didn´t test and fataly made between quali and race. I should have stayed with the old settings, my rear was a bit unpredictable on kerbs then - a bit to stiff I finally recognized.
André, Dag and me had some real good racing moments, inkluding slipstreaming, side by side racing and taking care of each other, was real fun!
After a few laps I could brake free and pull away from them due to my stategy. Watching the gap increasing I started counting laps and calculating racedevelopment. I soon knew I had to push. And as I started, I already lost it. Stayed to long on throttle, thinking of getting an exit right, but miscalculated it, dived into hay and finaly crashed.
It´s a pitty, because in a way I like this track, it has a good, fast flow.

So, hopefully next race will be better!

Still interested in how dgp develops.. seems not that bad to me right now

tagomago

Post by tagomago » 09 Feb 2024, 15:05

I was very lucky. :grin:

My strategy was not very smart, just don't stop and try to finish whatever happened ... this track has thousands of places to die between tram tracks, potholes and double radius curves :rolleyes:

As in the first lap I couldn't let go of my nerves I made the mistake of touching the side wall gently :motz: ... while I was recovering I let Rainer pass so as not to cause any more trouble

Then, still not concentrated, I managed to avoid the straw bales of T2 by going out of the run-off. :byebye:

Getting back on track cost me about 30 seconds, so my first strategy of getting something out of not stopping disappeared and surely that made me finally concentrate on just finishing.

This track always takes its toll, so the survivors were thriving and with 5 to go I could already see in my coffers the 4th place which was a very good result for a very mediocre race in times ... while doing $crooge McDuck counts I went back to touch my beloved piece of side wall with which I had already had some love affairs a few laps before :grin:

While keeping a fight with the car to try to understand how it behaved I heard an engine that was approaching fast, so to not generate greater evils and thinking that my slower pace made Andre come forward earlier than expected I kindly let pass an Andre who I thought was lapping me with a car that was rather that of John :motz: ... and finally a while later I was overtaken by Andre :daumenrauf: and in that way I was happy just to finish.

Thank you very much to all of you for these good times on the track. :) :prost: