River66 - 11th of April - Round4

gpl dirtgear league
Olaf Lehmann

River66 - 11th of April - Round4

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 04 Apr 2024, 14:19

Track.ini with more distance between pitstalls. I let the starting grid like it was here.
http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/trackiniRIVER66.zip

André Jahren

Re: River66 - 11th of April - Round4

Post by André Jahren » 07 Apr 2024, 20:03

The server is updated.

FYI:
Dag is out traveling and will not be able to race at Riverside.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 11 Apr 2024, 19:08

Today's race will be 35 laps

snafu

Post by snafu » 11 Apr 2024, 21:22

Well, Horrible from me, I really wasn't ready for this one at all, I gave up on my shifter just over a week ago due to my reoccurring problems with gear selection and tried to relearn paddle shifting, I spent the 1st week with the up/down reversed, so start again. I'm still reaching for the gear stick occasionally but felt I had it sorted well enough for the race.

Spent most of the race chasing 1st Tim and later Olaf, then about 4 laps before my exit I started to get terrible cramp in my fingers and just couldn't operate the paddles finally the pain in my hand became too much and I made an unforced error sliding off onto the sand. No damage but I simply couldn't use the paddles due to the pain in my hand so decided to park up and retire.

Finally about 20 minutes later after much fist clenching I'm getting some mobility back. Never had this happen to this extent before, even when I used paddles in the distant past. Old age creeping up I guess, I do suffer with arthritis in my right hand due to almost slicing my thumb off in an ice skating accident 40 years ago which has already caused me to give up my motorcycle during winter. I need a G27 shifter, I ain't giving GPL up.

TTFN
John
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2 from 3.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 11 Apr 2024, 22:14

snafu wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 21:22
I need a G27 shifter, I ain't giving GPL up.
I have several. Just send me your address and I will send you one.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 12 Apr 2024, 07:37

Qual
A good qualifying session. Had hoped to see a 1.42 lap.

Race
After a good start I managed to pull away on the first couple of laps.

Then I made a mistake in the last corner and spun.
Was lucky to not pick up any damage and recovered in P3.

After a couple of laps behind Olaf I was able to pass him as he made a mistake exiting the corner that leads out to the back straight.

Found myself then in P2 6 seconds behind Bjørn.

After some laps the gap came down to 4 seconds, then he spun after the S’s.
And as he drifted a bit wide in the next corner I managed to get by.

Then it was all about tire management.

At the end I made 2 mistakes, first at lap 29 where I was lucky not picking up any damage, but then on lap 32 with a 50 seconds lead I went off and hit the fence. And here I was lucky not getting stuck. Managed to revers back out on the track, quickly realized that I had picked up damaged on the left front corner, and dirty tires from the gravel. Went off again in the last corner and hit the fence and probably picked up even more damage.
Thought about pitting, but with the big lead I had I decided to go to the end trying to hold on to P1.

Managed to hold off Tim until the last corner.

Happy with P2 after a messy race with a lot of mistakes.

Congratulations to Tim for his first victory this season, and Rainer for joining us on the podium.

See you all at Dundrod in a month.

tim

Post by tim » 12 Apr 2024, 12:50

Lucky me!

After some month of almost no driving all feelings about the greatness of this sim are back. Last friday I started at Monza10k in GELI and enjoyed it like yesterday at Riverside. Moving these cars is awesome, I realy love this f1-aera with no wings!

For Riverside I took a full load of fuel and started with no expectations, just getting the flow, hoping for battling. Could make it to P3 in practise, but was 1 second off the pace. When the flag dropped I got a good getaway. In the first corners, Björn in front was struggeling a bit, strong Ferrari pressure from Olaf at my tail. He got a good run during the opening laps and I was suprized by his power and agility. On cold tyres the BRM behave like a whale in good old Campbell´s. Soon Olaf passed me like a dolphin and pulled away like one. P4.
A few laps later, I felt more comftable. Tyres started working, I found rhythm and laptimes started dropping, the track was slowly comming to me.
Riverside is a nice track because it has some spots where you can grab fantastic views on your opponents. I could watch the leader, Björn, and how he got hunted by André and Olaf lap by lap. I saw his little mistake from far behind, saw André going by .. was in gpl-heaven :dance:
Somewhen Olaf made a little mistake, I think during braking and he could not recover from his rhythmloss as he needed. This was my possibility to regain P3 with André 5 secs in front.
From then on it was the good known laptime-thrill, squench a bit more out here and there, take a little more risk when braking. And, voilá!, digging nuggets. Tiny but constant I managed to close up to André, from 500m to 100m. And as I came closer, around lap 17/18, I had the feeling he was already struggling with reartyres, mine instead felt still perfect.
In lap 20 my reartyres lost grip immediatly. I don´t know if it came from overdoing them the corner before or from racedevelopment, sure both, but the driving-feeling was rapidly different from then on. This kinda shocked me, laptimes felt off, first one, then 2-3 seconds. It took me 5 or 6 laps to adopt the new carbehavior. And when I slowly found back from passenger to pilot Rainer was about 45 secs behind. I didn´t know what stategy he was going, nor did I know André´s. So plan was piting if André will do, and gaining speed again, what the hack about the rear. And I would not say I overdid it, but after a row of tiny instabilities when entering turn 8, forcing me a nuiance to soft on brakes -it could have been avoided, I went wide and kissed the fence with by nose. Luckily the car was not towed and I got it back on track. When exiting into the following long counterstraight the car felt instable during upshifting. With Rainer behind it was time to pit as soon as possible..
I decided to keep the already strong worn tyres and could indeed keep my followers behind.
Bad luck for André, I was surprized when he got rapidly slower. In the last lap, turn 8, exit into counterstaight I was on his tail, knew he has troubles. With slipstream and André very fair driving, thanks buddy!, I managed to pass him. Lucky me!

Hey John, I know the problem of upcoming cramps from time to time. Never had that in earlier times too. In my case its always my right foot. Thanks god its not the braking one ;) -great you keep it up!

Thanks guys for racing with you all!
tim

Seb Gore

Post by Seb Gore » 12 Apr 2024, 14:25

Aaargh! Well that was a pain. The practice clock ticked past 38 seconds as I went over the line so I was just looking for a convenient place to pull over when my internet dropped. Nooooo........... :hide:

By the time it came back the clock had run out so I had to be a spectator.

That looked challenging guys. Well done Tim, Andre and Rainer for the podium and well done the rest of you, that was good close racing, even if it was a bit wild at times.

Really gutted I missed it.

On to Dundrod then..... :prost:

tim

Post by tim » 12 Apr 2024, 15:37

..I´m sorry for you, Seb. I had this a few times and that was always a terrible experience, being tensed and suddenly cutoff..

cu at Dundrod!

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 12 Apr 2024, 16:09

Code: Select all

PITSTOP LISTING

33:09	 39.0s	B.Finnestad	Tire change/Refuel
  35:01	 35.9s	O.Lehmann	Tire change/Refuel
  39:15	 33.2s	O.Lehmann	Repair
  49:04	 34.8s	T.Roedl		Repair
Something is different in my last races.
I wasn't competitive in the first race (Kyalami), although I've often done well there in the past. After the race I was downright shocked. I thought: This year could be boring for me...
In the races since then, I've been among the top three at times. My Bestlap has a fastest lap section (it looks for the fastest time in each lap and displays a table showing who has driven the fastest time in the race and how often). I often appear there in the last few races, in yesterday's listing 6 times (in lap two and five times towards the end of the race). I'm sure it's also because I made a tyre stop (and quite late - so that I had the freshest tyres at the end). But still - I never used to appear on this list.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my sometimes good performance to the finish. It's partly because I find it hard to concentrate for an hour and partly because I'm taking more risks than in recent years. Maybe it's also because only the first 6 get points.
All in all, though, it's better than doing my laps alone and at a loss.

I was surprised that André, when I was already preparing myself for the fact that he would soon overtake me, suddenly fell further and further behind. Now I know why.

Congratulations to Tim, André and Rainer! To Tago and Björn too.
After my tyre stop, I was hoping that I could still finish in 4th place.
Unfortunately, I wondered for a moment why I was still in third place immediately after the tyre stop. While I was thinking about it, I touched some tyres and damaged my car...
Aaargh! Well that was a pain. The practice clock ticked past 38 seconds as I went over the line so I was just looking for a convenient place to pull over when my internet dropped. Nooooo........... :hide:
Too bad, Seb!