dirtgearpatch NEWS

gpl dirtgear league
Olaf Lehmann

dirtgearpatch NEWS

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 05 Apr 2023, 20:17

Here isd the link to actual dgp version 812:

http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/dirtgear.zip

Why version 812?

Same at Oulton like at Albi: I have a different track.ini than the server again. Probably the problem will occur often now that tracks database is not running anymore and the riders get their tracks from different sources.
As I said before this is dangerous because with different track.ini pitboard values you will be taken off the track after 25s by gpl. Also, it could happen that 2 pit stalls are at the same place.

It seems I managed to get dgp to make the clients use the pitstall values from the server. I put the version called dirtgear811_savepitarea in dirtgear folder.
Assuming everything works as I think...the riders don't need to worry about the values with the new version. In addition, because we are only 10 participants, we could increase the distances between the pit stalls, i.e. always leave one stall free between each rider. That would be a great advantage at racks like Oulton
However, all drivers would then have to use the new dg version (the server can continue to use the old version).
Last edited by Olaf Lehmann on 25 Apr 2023, 22:11, edited 5 times in total.

Olaf Lehmann

Re: dirtgearpatch NEWS

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 08 Apr 2023, 12:10

I noticed that my first attempt only worked when gplSHIFT is installed. Therefore I had to change again. Now it should work.
In the dirtgear folder there are now separate 36/60fps folders for clarity. Well, you will find the right file.

But now...Happy Easter!

Olaf

Robert Fleurke

Post by Robert Fleurke » 09 Apr 2023, 21:08

Thanks Olaf :)

Also don't forget to check your PM at GPL Weekly. A familiar face wants to rejoin HIES and has send you a PM. :daumenrauf:

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 10 Apr 2023, 19:21

Tried it out, and it works fine :)

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 10 Apr 2023, 20:19

Here is a trackini with wider grid and for most guys more space between the box stalls:

http://race.eolc.de/Olaf_Lehmann/trackiniOULTON.zip

One thing is important to keep in mind with the new dg version: You absolutely have to drive in the quali (a few metres are enough). Even if you leave the server and then rejoin, you have to drive in the qualifying again. Otherwise your pitarea in the race will be determinated from your track.ini!

I have to say that I haven't tested the new version much.
If you are sceptical, you can simply use the old version - but in this case you have to install the trackini from above.

If you decide to use the new version, for safety you should definitely try it out in pre quali. For testing it's best not to use my track.ini , but the one you had before. And please wait for two stop times at the pit stop to see that it is not taken out by gpl. And as a precaution, drive a lap in the race and then make a double pit stop.

The advantage of the new version is that - if the version works - you no longer have to worry about the trackini.

BR Olaf

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 13 Apr 2023, 22:51

Here is a hint to avoid curious gear ratio values:
Please use the same setups for race and quali, see here:

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 14 Apr 2023, 10:37

So, I evaluated the server replay to see how and if dirtgear811_savepitarea works. Here's what I noticed:
1. John and I are obviously using the same pitstall. Fortunately, we don't stop at the same time. Phew, good going! This is explained by the fact that John neither used the new version nor my track.ini.
2. Tago enters the track at a completely different place than where he makes his test stop. I strongly suspect that Tago did not use the new version and did not use my track.ini.
3. Robert's repair place and the place where he enters the track after pressing the green flag are suspiciously far apart. It almost seems as if the values from the server and client do not match exactly.
4. For all the others, the repair location and the entering place are essentially the same. However, not 100%.
There are two reasons for this:
-The repair area is 3.5m long.
-The new version of the patch causes the repair location to be moved 2m forward (this is the distance between the pitstall board location and the centre of the car where it falls from the sky after the green flag is pressed). This is difficult to avoid and should not be a problem if everyone uses the new patch.

So what does all this mean? What conclusion do I come to. I think we all should use the new patch. And I should make sure that everyone has to and that no one can forget to use the correct patch.
The best way to do this would be to give the new patch a new access so that you can no longer get onto the server with the old version.
It seems to me that we are on the safe side in this case. We can then no longer be bothered by different track.inis. And we can spread the pit stalls further apart when the grid is half full (gpl always uses the first stalls. so with 9 participants, stalls 0-11 are occupied, since the server and the TV client also occupy a stall). Stables 12-19 remain empty. We can then place spaces between most of the stalls by adjusting the values of the stalls in the server track.ini without the clients having to do anything.
The new patch has only one small weakness as already mentioned above: You have to drive a bit in the Quali - even if you have left the server and rejoin. However, everyone does that anyway...I think.

But first we have to wait and see if Tago has used neither the new version nor my track.ini as I suspected - which would surprise me a lot.

Robert Fleurke

Post by Robert Fleurke » 14 Apr 2023, 12:15

Thanks Olaf. I did install the updated track.ini, so I'm not sure what went wrong. In the future I will use dirtgear811_savepitarea.xml. Do I need to rename it to dirtgear811 to have it working or can I just select it in GEM+?

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 14 Apr 2023, 13:39

You are fast in every way...too fast for me.... ;)

It's best to wait a few days. Seems to me it would be cheaper to make a new dg version with new access (which will probably be called dirtgear812). So that in the future nobody can take the old version by mistake.

BR Olaf

tagomago

Post by tagomago » 22 Apr 2023, 21:23

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 10:37
2. Tago enters the track at a completely different place than where he makes his test stop. I strongly suspect that Tago did not use the new version and did not use my track.ini.
Olaf, these days I'm very short of time ... although I can't say that's a bad thing because the tangles I'm in I like them.

In any case I had the minimum of time to decide what to do with the options recommended by you with respect to the new version of dgp and track.ini for the Oulton race.

I saw that the option that cost me the least was to set the track.ini, not to change the dgp and make a pit entry, so I did that.

In fact my starting position did not match with my pit position.

For what it's worth ...

Now I continue reading ;)