Brands Hatch , 27th April - Round 7

gpl dirtgear league
André Jahren

Re: Brands Hatch , 27th April - Round 7

Post by André Jahren » 28 Apr 2023, 17:49

@Olaf

The additional server is now running Silverstone. IP address is the same as listed on our home page.

André

Robert Fleurke

Post by Robert Fleurke » 28 Apr 2023, 18:48

Usually I always stopped just before the pitstall board with 811. It feels like -I am not 100% sure- with 812 you have to drive closer to the pitstall board (or even touch it) to trigger the tire change.

John might have driven too far, if I understand correctly.

So all in all there is no reason to panic Olaf. But I do suspect the pitstalls itself are tighter in 812. With 811 never had problems, but with 812 twice had to drive a little bit forward to trigger the tire change, since nothing happened. While I used the same margin as in 811.

Could it have to do with the wider pitstall spreading, or possibly even be a track issue. Just some thoughts...

@Will: that's a great way to enjoy simracing with some friends! Sadly I had to embarrass myself, so you must have seen this BRM going for a spin a few times :grin:

Bjørn Finnestad

Post by Bjørn Finnestad » 28 Apr 2023, 19:52

Grats André, Robert and José, well done finishers, bad luck DNFs.

Install: Updated HIES track-ini and the new Dirtgear812.

Good and interesting race. Had a well feeling in this event for this track compared to previous experiences over the years, maybe a bit underestimated. From the start my pace was fine for a while. I bet a little too hard, then did many mistakes that resulted in countless times on the grass. I was almost completely caught in the bushes, but amazingly I got free and was able to drive in for repair, early change tires and refuelling for the rest of the race. A hard race for sure but saved it well and came in nicely to the finish. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the race, administration, and programming. Good job with arranging the live stream. :daumenrauf:

See you at Surfers :)

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 29 Apr 2023, 09:21

André Jahren wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 17:49
@Olaf

The additional server is now running Silverstone. IP address is the same as listed on our home page.

André
Where is it? I can't find any HIES Server...

Olaf Lehmann

Post by Olaf Lehmann » 29 Apr 2023, 09:47

Robert Fleurke wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 18:48
Usually I always stopped just before the pitstall board with 811. It feels like -I am not 100% sure- with 812 you have to drive closer to the pitstall board (or even touch it) to trigger the tire change.

John might have driven too far, if I understand correctly.

So all in all there is no reason to panic Olaf. But I do suspect the pitstalls itself are tighter in 812. With 811 never had problems, but with 812 twice had to drive a little bit forward to trigger the tire change, since nothing happened. While I used the same margin as in 811.

Could it have to do with the wider pitstall spreading, or possibly even be a track issue. Just some thoughts...

@Will: that's a great way to enjoy simracing with some friends! Sadly I had to embarrass myself, so you must have seen this BRM going for a spin a few times :grin:
Very well observed, Robert!
There really is a difference from before. The position of the pitstall board is 2m further back. You have to drive slightly into the pitboard during the pit stop. That was unavoidable.
Actually, I didn't want to mention this because it wouldn't have mattered if everything else had been the same as before, i.e. if the pitstall board disappeared at the exact moment when you entered the repair or tyre change area.
But because you noticed it so precisely...I guess I have to mention it.

But that doesn't create the problem that John had in the race and that you describe in practice.
But in the meantime I have an idea what the problem could be. Where the repair area is (and where the car is safely located) is determined by relative coordinates. That all looks good.
But where the pitboard is positioned is determined by absolute coordinates. I had to move these forward by 2m as well.
Now the following obviously happens with some people: Shortly before the pitboard disappears because the repair area is reached, the pitboard disappears because the driver's point of view reaches the pitboard shortly before (if the viewer's eye is already at the height of the pitboard, it can no longer be displayed).
Therefore, it may happen that you come to a standstill in front of the repair area even though the pitboard is invisible. This does not seem to have happened in my case. But there may be a difference between the cars or if someone has shifted their viewpoint forwards (which as far as I know is possible with gplSHIFT).

Actually, I didn't want to check my hypothesis now, but I don't have the server.
In case my hypothesis is correct I have an idea what maybe can make the things better.

Robert Fleurke

Post by Robert Fleurke » 29 Apr 2023, 11:42

If it helps:

I use Lee's Head Movement Manager to alter my driving view. I have triple screens 5760x1080, with 110 degrees FOV, and the cockpit viewpoint slightly backwards (2 points, which equals only 2cm), and up (4 points, 4cm) for the BRM (to have the mirrors visible in the corners of the side monitors).

So my cockpit view is only 2cm backwards than original/standard, in the BRM.

edit: mixed up forward and backward.
Last edited by Robert Fleurke on 30 Apr 2023, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

André Jahren

Post by André Jahren » 29 Apr 2023, 22:18

Olaf Lehmann wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 09:21
Where is it? I can't find any HIES Server...
Sorry Olaf,

I forgot to change the port for the second server, then both servers will be gone on IGOR. Should be ok now.